Monday, October 15, 2018

Leaving Yosemite






On Thursday night we woke up to beeping at 4 AM. It quickly became evident that our house batteries had discharged. All RV’s have a kind of battery charger called a voltage convertor. Ours had gone belly up, probably a couple days ago. It then took a day or two to discharge the two batteries.


I connected the automotive battery charger that I keep in the motorhome to the house battery bank. It put enough current into the system to stop the beeping from all the voltage starved devices, I then sat up in the wee hours for about an hour to give the system a charge before I turned the furnace and refrigerator back online. Finally at about 6 AM I lay back down and went back to sleep for about an hour.

At our normal 7 AM we rolled out of bed, I told Millie that we were leaving the mountains this morning, but she already knew that. I didn’t want to spend another cold night here with our temporary fix to the 12 volt system. We had no cell service, no internet, no RV parts available within a hundred miles or more.

Groveland to Lone Pine
 I decided the best course of action would be to continue with our original plan of leaving Yosemite thru the Tioga Pass and heading toward Las Vegas. The days plan called for a 250 mile ride, half that driving thru the park and the other half driving down Hwy 395.

On Hwy 120 thru Yosemite
The park portion was a windy two lane road thru evergreen forest covered rock mountain. We didn’t really know what to expect on the southern road, but were pleasantly surprised by the scenic valley route between two large mountain ranges.

Boulder Creek RV Resort in Lone Pine California
About mid afternoon we arrived at Boulder Creek RV Resort in Lone Pine California. After setting up for the night I ordered the needed voltage convertor and had it sent to our Las Vegas destination. I also called the Oasis Las Vegas RV Resort and made sure it was OK for us to arrive a day early.

View of the Sierra Nevada mountains from Boulder Creek RV Park

I spent the rest of the evening working on the blog. I gave the long rambling manuscript I had written at Yosemite a quick proofread. I decided to post it without pictures and called it “Much ado about nothing”.


No comments:

Post a Comment